Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Do you seriously expect me to be the first Prince of Wales in history not to have a mistress?"- Prince Charles

Hello from Swansea, Wales! I have been here since Friday, for the homestay portion of orientation. It’s a beautiful city, and there’s a very strong sense of culture and Welsh pride here. Despite the fact that Wales is part of the UK, there's a definite rivalry with England, and no one here seems to care for the monarchy (perhaps because of quotes like the one I've chosen for the title). I’ve fallen in love with Welsh food; I thought I was losing a bit of weight in London but Wales has quickly put a stop to that!

My homestay family is wonderful! The mother and father are very kind and fun to be with, and they have two adorable children, a 3 ½ year old boy, Morgan, and a little girl, Manon, who is almost 1. We spent today at Margam Park, and it was by far the best day I have had since I left New York. The park was beautiful!! The fields were so green and it was a gorgeous day so we got to make the most of our time there. There was a small farm with cows and a few other animals, but we did not have enough time to go in, so we just drove by. We started at the Orangery and then went up to see the Roman ruins and the Margam Abbey that dates back to 1147. We had a picnic lunch in what must be the coolest playground on earth. I wish I was 5-years-old again just so I could fully appreciate it. It was based on different fairytales and nursery rhymes, so there was Snow White’s house, a castle (made of real stones!), a shoe house for the old woman who had so many children she didn’t know what to do (Michelle Duggar?), a house based on a Welsh nursery rhyme that I imagine was great for kids who speak Welsh, and a few others. Morgan and Manon had a ball!

After our picnic we went up to see the Margam Castle, built between 1830-1840. A fire destroyed most of the inside, so we could not go in, but the outside was simply breathtaking. The detail on all of the stones is all so intricate and stunning. I took loads of pictures!

After that we went and got ice cream in what was once the castle’s stables, went to a castle-themed playground, and headed back to the car just before the park closed.

My host mother is a wonderful cook, and has introduced/gotten me addicted to some great British/Welsh dishes. We had Spotted Dick for dessert tonight. I admit the name made me giggle at first but it was delicious and I’m determined to learn to make it myself.

Yesterday we had the day free to explore Swansea. We tasted some Welsh food and explored the different markets. We are heading to Gower tomorrow, and I’m praying that will involve more than just hanging out on the beach. So far, I’ve been rather disappointed with the orientation of the umbrella program I’m going through, and their planning of itineraries leaves a lot to be desired. Tuesday I will be heading to UCL, though, and I’m hoping their orientation will be better. And I’ll finally be able to unpack!

And now for some pictures!!



I went to the National Portrait Gallery and there was a mini exhibit about Bob Dylan. I don't care at all about Dylan, but my family does. So this is for them.













The program told us they were taking us to see a castle. It's actually the remains of a castle (a small piece of a wall) after it was bombed in World War II. It's now across the street from a McDonald's. It was pretty though!
Manon
Morgan on the way to the Orangery. (In the car park he said "Be careful Morgan. There's lots of cars here!" aloud to himself. He's really cute!!!!)

The Orangery.

Me in front of the castle in the playground

The ruins and the abbey

The castle
different view of the castle
Castle from far away (can you tell how much I loved this castle?)

more pictures on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2026722&id=1356330129&l=560134c081

1 comment: