Thursday, September 3, 2009

Any Place I Hang My Hat

I'm going to be moving around a lot in the coming weeks. I am leaving on September 13th (ten days!) and arrive in London on the 14th. From there, I have orientation at a hotel in Kensington Gardens, from Monday through Wednesday, then have a homestay with a family somewhere in the UK from Thursday through Saturday, then I finally move into my permanent housing at UCL's Langton Close:(thanks Becky for telling me how to add pictures!)
It is actually a pretty nice place- I'll have a sort-of flat with a few other people with my own bedroom and shared toilet and shower (not actually called a "bathroom" though, and I'll have a sink in my bedroom) and a small shared kitchen. There's no living room and from what I've seen the kitchen is pretty tiny, so having people over will be a bit of a challenge. Still, I'm really excited!

I realize orientation and the homestay are very important, and I am looking forward to them but I am a bit nervous about moving around so much in the beginning, especially when I will have to be taking all of my stuff with me. Lugging around everything I am taking with me to London is not going to be fun. And I am afraid that not having a place to really come "home" at first will make me quite homesick. But that's just my pessimism shining through.

Despite my pessimism and feeling a bit overwhelmed right now, I am truly ecstatic and can't wait for this all to start. I would love to send out postcards, so please give me your address!!

10 days to go!

1 comment:

  1. You're nearly there! My advice is to enjoy the various stop-offs before you get to your new home -- think of it as a road trip.

    ReplyDelete