Sunday, May 9, 2010

".....waking up to say 'Bonjour!'"-Beauty and the Beast

First of all, Happy Mother’s Day to my wonderful Mom and my lovely mom friends! You ladies are the best (especially my mom).

Psych exams are over!!! How did they go? They went. That’s all that matters. I just have two anthropology exams left, and then I’m free to enjoy London until 4 June.

To celebrate being done with the most difficult portion of my exams, I went to Paris yesterday. One of my very good friends from New York was in town so I wanted to meet up with her, if only for a bit.

Since she did not get in until the afternoon, I spent the morning at Chateaux de Versailles. In tenth grade I took AP European History, and though the class was pure torture, I left with a dream of going to see the famous Versailles. Taking AP Art History two years later only made this hope grow stronger, and so getting to go was truly a dream come true.

Since I was in Versailles by myself, I took the same approach I took in Germany to make pictures more personal. However, Mr. Chick fell in love with a duck in Greece and he stayed behind to start a strange hybrid family with her (I unpacked my suitcase and he wasn’t there. I have no idea what happened to him). So, I replaced him with Flame, the Gay Lion.


















This painting of Lafayette was very special for me, because during my First Year at Smith, I took a class called Reenacting the Past, in which we "reenacted" the French Revolution, and I was Lafayette.











After Versailles, I met up with my friend and her mom. We were all quite hungry, so we had a rather early lunch at a little brasserie. It was delicious!! The French may be snotty (as I experienced many times throughout the day) but they can certainly cook and do amazing things with a duck.

Once we were well stuffed, my friend and I took one of the tour buses around the city. We had a very limited amount of time, she was jet-lagged, it was raining, and I was in a t-shirt, so this was really the best way to see the sites quickly










Maybe I’m strange, but Paris isn’t a place I dream of spending lots of time in. It’s beautiful, but I have been the Louvre before, and I have seen Napolean’s tomb, and I don’t feel like I am depriving myself too much by not spending more time there. I am much more excited about my upcoming trip to Rome (that is going to be FABULOUS!!). . So I think this wonderful day in Paris with a wonderful friend was just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment