Saturday, January 9, 2010

“The journey not the arrival matters.” - T.S. Eliot

I love traveling; it’s the act of traveling that I hate. And by that, of course, I mean flying. Despite how much I love New York and London, traveling between the two is true torture, especially if I am on one of the older planes, with less leg room (and when someone my height is complaining about a lack of leg room, there’s a problem). To add to my misery, on the flight I took last night/this morning, my seat-mate, despite being very sweet, looked like she had a nasty case of the plague. Several other people on the flight spent the whole 6 hours coughing. As such, I am now popping vitamins like candy.
Flying makes me cranky. Saying goodbye to people I really love makes me depressed. The fact that the heat is yet again on the fritz in my flat means I’m cold. So I’m cranky, depressed, and cold and need to cheer myself up. So, I am watching a marathon of Season 2 of The Office and making a list of reasons all the things I still want to do before the end of term:

(I'll continue to update this list and italicize the ones I have done)

IN LONDON:
-Spitalfields Market
-Brick Lane Market
-Petticoat Lane Market
- Greenwich Market
- Borough Market (I have a thing for markets)
-London Transport Museum
-Queen Mary’s Gardens & The Inner Circle
-Foundling Museum
-The White Tower and The Crown Jewels
-Museum of London
-Hampstead Heath
-Clink Street Museum
- Natural History Museum
-Tower of London
-Hampton Court Palace
-Have high tea
-Go riding in Hyde Park again
- see Billy Elliott The Musical Again
- See Les Miserables 3 or more times
- Reach my goal of seeing 20 shows
-Explore St. John's Wood


OUTSIDE OF LONDON:
-Windsor Castle
- Royal Pavilion (Brighton)
- Canterbury Cathedral
- Leeds Castle
- Oxford University
- Cambridge University
- Bath
- Stonehenge
- Stratford-Upon-Avon
- Salisbury Cathedral
- Edinburgh Castle
- Paris
- Disneyland Paris
- Greece
- Rome- go to the Vatican and Galleria Borghese
- Germany
- Auschwitz/ Terezin/ Dachau (I’mn not sure I can handle more than one)


1 comment:

  1. I'd love to go along on any and all of those! The lousy laws of time and space prevent me from doing so however. :( Perhaps it's my ancestors speaking, but I feel that visiting anything and everything in Scotland is an absolute must for you. Alba gu brath!

    Also, you'll be proud to hear that I'm making a list of reasons to look forward to this next semester! Among them are the fact that I can now attend Institute (since I don't have classes Wednesday nights!); the fact that I am now 1/4 through my projected PhD program; and the fact that Molly will be using all her vacation time to come visit me for Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete